Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My First Post

My first post on my first blog, this is exciting. I am still in high school but my ideas and opinions, I find, are a bit too serious for classroom discussion. I've realised that not many other teenagers have "change the world" on their list of things to do before they graduate.
Blogs are meant to be interesting. They're meant to inform people and get discussion going on important topics. I will try and keep my posts shorter so that people don't have to read through paragraphs of text full of facts that they could have found on google. This is more for me to get the feelings I hold in all day (plus a few facts) out of my system and see if anyone else agrees with the way I see things; as i've discovered not alot of people do. My problem is  that once I took a step back and looked at the way we choose to do things, my faith in the human race faltered if not completely vanished.

So I have to say, the way that the world has handled this whole "preserve the land" stuff is disappointing. We all act like it's important, so why arent we doing anything? Only 3% of the land on earth is preserved. This includes parks, wildlife refuges and other land reserves. So apparently we'd rather have our big cities. It also takes up to a year to get any new species onto the "endangered species list" so that something can be done to get them out of their situation. Even then, the species may not make it on the list. The Florida Black Bear has been on the candidate list since 1992 and has still not been added. We're supposed to be "the greatest species to walk the earth". We're the only other species to "dominate the earth like the dinosaurs did". So why do all of our technology and ideas benefit us and kill the planet we live on? And why does no one seem to care? How could we possibly think that 3% of the 510,066,000  square kilometers of the Earth is enough?

The problem is so big that any government, or average person for that matter, feels intimidated by it. I know I do. It's a huge problem that we've let get out of hand. What's worse is that this generation is growing up without any value for the world we live in, or the animals in it. They've been taught by our society that they can do what ever they want, and have no consequences. The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico was a huge accident, but since the newpapers stopped talking about it, and it's off the news, everyone seems to have forgotten it happened. People now days think that just because it isn't happening to them, it isn't of any importance. I would hate for the human race to finally see what we've done to the world with our toxic lifestyles once it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment